Categories
Crafts

Knitting from ‘Knitting from the North’ that my sister gave me for Christmas a few years ago.

As well as making things that keep me/us/the teapot warm, these were my first attempts at knitting both in the round on circular and 4 or 5 needles, and with two colours to make a pattern. Another plus – a chance to use up lots of wool that I inherited from Patrick’s mother.

This hat is Patrick’s. It is a bit small (ie too short) and tends to look like a kippah especially as he wears it with the brim turned up as in the picture in the book. I decided against the bobble!

The wrist warmers below are a great success – they make a huge difference especially on a cold day when wearing shortish gloves, a coat with loose sleeves and a jumper that doesn’t come right down to my hands. They were quick and easy to knit.

These fingerless mitts are brilliant over other gloves and also good when it is cold but I need to have my fingers free. There are proper thumb holes which meant I had to learn something else – how to knit a ‘hole’ with edging within the main body of the knitting. The pattern is meant to be in red but I ran out so changed to brown – barely noticeable unless you look closely.

This is another hat pattern. I decided to turn it into a teacosy, which was reasonably successful as it fits snugly, but this time it is too long! One side is black and white and the other is white and black. I needed to make the teacosy slightly smaller than the original hat pattern by reducing the number of stiches. Then I had to jiggle with the pattern so I lost stitches without it being too noticeable!

This scarf was a good way to use up most of some fairly lurid pinkish wool. Teaming it with navy worked (a fashionable combination of colours in the 1960s!!). This is a very fiddly pattern (the author says ‘one of the more complicated patterns in this book’) – but by the fifth and last cycle of 72 rows I’d just about got the hang of it.

The blue wool ran out first, before the final cycle of 72 rows was complete but that hasn’t made the scarf unmanageably short luckily.   Sadly there’s still quite a lot of the lurid pink left over to use up on something else… After putting a twist in it, I followed the instructions at the start of the book to graft the cast on stiches to the final row.

 During knitting the scarf curled on itself as you can see above, but once the two  ends were grafted together I pressed it with a steam iron under a tea-towel and it smoothed out nicely.

And in a different light the pink looks less lurid!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s